Sunday, April 14, 2013

     Edna Pontillier is an interesting character.  She definitely changes throughout the novel.  My opinion of her is that she is sort of undecided in her life and doesn't know what she really wants.  She is not very happy with where her life is at, at this point either.
     I think Edna is somewhat justified in her choices.  I think she is in the wrong in leaving her husband and family behind for her own interests.  She is putting herself, her life, in front of the people that she supposedly loves.  In a sense it is okay because it is Edna's life and she needs her life to be happy, not depressing.  I think she has done harm to Leonce even though he might not show it.  Some people have strong feelings, but don't know how to express them very well. 
     I would not act this way if I was in Edna's shoes.  I personally believe the way she went about this whole situation is wrong.  I think she should have never associated herself with Robert in the first place.  Especially because she was warned by the others that Robert picks out a girl to go after every summer.  Robert really is the root to the beginning of all of Edna's problems, granted that there were some before he was even in the picture.  After Edna discovered that she had feelings for Robert, she completely blew off her husband and children.  Moving out of her house into one of her own was out of line in my opinion.  She should have tried to talk to Leonce first and valued his opinion before she made such a drastic change.  Once Edna moved out, it was a downhill wreck.  Honestly, she became a slut, or in today's term, the town bicycle.  She didn't know what she wanted in her life besides Robert and I think that it really confused her.  If I were in Edna's shoes, I would try to talk about all my issues with someone I trusted and really figure out what I wanted.
     All in all, Edna took her own life because of love.  She was not happy with the man she was married to and the man that she wanted, wouldn't take her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment